JellyPages.com

Sunday, April 27, 2014

One step forward, 100 steps backwards…..

Have you ever heard the saying 1 step forward, 2 steps backwards??? Well I have been living with a similar saying myself. It goes like this, 1 step forward, 100 steps backwards. On March 12th I injured my knee. Now I wish I could tell you some interesting story where I was doing something great and then hurt myself but sadly I can not. I just stood up from a chair and turned to go see what my husband needed. The movement of turning is one which we all do through out our day many times. Well on March 12th my body turned but my knee did not want to have any part of it. It made a LOUD awful noise and then I simply could not walk! I was limping all over the place. I took it easy that day, elevating my knee. Icing my knee. Taking ibuprofen. I had myself thinking tomorrow is another day. It will be a better day………

Fast forward to the next day. Nope, not better! I had to use the dreaded crutches periodically. I went to the Doctor. He felt all around, moved my knee every which way until I nearly flew off the table. He told me he felt that I had done something to my lateral meniscus. He prescribed me some anti inflammatory medication and advised me to continue what I was doing and if I was not better in a week to come back. My week seemed to progress very slowly. The medication did not elevate any of my symptoms. My husband had given me the cute little nick name of Hoppy. Nice right? I headed back to the Doctor where I received a very lovely ( NOT!!!) cortisone shot. It did seem to help a bit but lasted for only a week. I returned to my Doctor to see what we would do next. He referred me to an Orthopedic Surgeon and sent me for an X-ray first. The way most insurance companies work you must go through this crazy chain of hoop jumping. After having the X-ray I waited for the Orthopedic Surgeon to call for my appointment. I guess I should mention I do not like waiting. I am not good at waiting. I finally received the call and an appointment date. The appointment date was over 2 weeks away. I tried to just be happy that I had an upcoming appointment. Through out this wait period I knew that even once I saw the Doctor I would not know right away because I had been told that he would then have to refer me to get an MRI. Ugh!!!!!

The day finally came last week. I saw the Orthopedic Surgeon. I really like him. He probed and moved my knee around. Feeling all over and behind it. He checked my X-ray and told me that he sees I have developed mild arthritis to my knee. I was thinking, NICE! Just what I need. He then told me he was referring me for an MRI. He says he believes I have torn my meniscus. Lovely. When I checked out at the front desk the lady explained that they had to get this approved through my insurance company and it would take about a week. Once I received my MRI appointment to call them back right away for another appointment here. I left there with mixed feelings. Glad to know that the Doctor thinks he knows what is wrong but bummed for the additional wait. The next day I received a call for the MRI!!!!! So I have that on the schedule for this coming Thursday! Woohoo! I called the Orthopedic Surgeon back and I will see him a week from Monday! Thank goodness I will be receiving an answer in just a little over a week.

The problem with my injury is that I can not walk normally. I limp. I can be walking and my knee will lock up on me. When I have been sitting and I stand I can not just move. I can not extend my leg at all. I can be walking and then all of a sudden my knee will just give out on me. This is not good. I am hoping to have an answer and a plan for treatment as of next Monday afternoon. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Anytime anyone receives a bump in the road, whatever path they are on, it is discouraging. You might not be able to do all of the normal things you are accustomed to doing. This is the case for me. I have been sidelined from the gym. That has been very hard for me. I had a routine that I had going and it all came to a screeching halt. I have to remember that this is going to be temporary. I will be able to get back into a normal routine at some point. My everyday life has changed due to this injury. Not being able to move around as I have been for my entire life is hard. We take for granted that we can move our legs, walk, dance, run or whatever. I have been learning that is not a given. There have been many days that have left me feeling very down and discouraged. Pain is no fun for anyone. I have to always be aware of my movements. One wrong move and I feel it right away. It has also made me realize that this injury is just that, an injury. I can recover. It has made me think about the millions of people all over the world that have catastrophic injuries and their lives will never be the same. It made me think about our soldiers that have lost limbs. It has brought to mind the victims of last years Boston Marathon bombings who lost limbs. These people's lives will never be the same. They have been struggling with a new kind of normal. I am in awe of the strength and positive attitudes of these brave men and woman. These are people that have had life altering injuries and yet keep going.

My knee will eventually get better. Until that time I will just keep moving to the best of my ability. I will not get down thinking about the things I can not do. I will concentrate on the things I am doing and enjoy each day as it comes. My youngest will be graduating from  8th Grade next month. She is very excited. We have lots of fun activities on the calendar for her last month of school. Before I know it Summer will be here and we can just take things slow and easy. I hope that everyone of you will be able to do the same thing. Take time and enjoy everything life has to offer you. Even if you hit a bump in the road there are always good things around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment